background

Friday 16 September 2011

Deep peace in my heart

Today I had to go to a work thing. It was far away, I was feeling very fragile because I'd had an emotional day yesterday and the topic of the day was not a pleasant one. I was bracing myself for a difficult day ahead.

After driving for a long time, I got there, settled in and the day began. In Australia, we formally begin events with a "Welcome to Country" where usually recognition of the traditional custodians of the land is formally made. Traditionally this is done by an Aboriginal elder, but usually it is respectfully made by a representative of the people leading an event. A verbal message such as, "I acknowledge that this meeting is being held on the traditional lands of the [insert local Indigenous group's name] people" is said and the message usually goes on to respectfully acknowledge elders past and present, who are the custodians of the land on which we stand and meet today.

It's also necessary (and respectful) for the speaker who immediately follows the welcome to country to provide a response. The person leading the day's event was an Irish lady and she responded with the Gaelic blessing. It wasn't new to me, actually I'd first heard it many years ago and loved it then. But today, it was almost as if each word and each phrase became tangible and burrowed it's way into my heart. It felt like magic in the air and the words brought tears to my eyes.

I knew right then and there that I'd found the missing element that I had to add to Pip's quilt (which I didn't even know I was missing). I spent some time researching the Gaelic blessing and found a few different versions of it. In the end, I decided to go with a mish mash of several different versions.

I can't say why this blessing affected me so much. As she was reciting each phrase, it was almost as if I could feel each element reaching out and wrapping it's peace around my heart. I love how it's focused on the energies of nature and is so lovely and gentle. Plus hubby is 1/5th Irish and every bit of Irish counts, right?

This is the version of the Gaelic Blessing I decided on for Pip's quilt.


The Gaelic Blessing: Deep Peace  


Deep peace of the running wave to you
Deep peace of the flowing air to you
Deep peace of the of the quiet earth to you
Deep peace of the sleeping stones to you
Deep peace of the shining stars to you
Deep peace of the gentle night to you
Deep peace of the light of the world to you
Moon and stars pour their healing light on you
Deep peace to you


I love the thought of sending my girl deep peace, but when this quilt is completed and I'm able to wrap myself up in it, I know it will also bring my heart deep peace.

Thank you so much Universe and Irish lady for bringing my heart your deep peace, just when I needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me/us a message. We would love to hear your thoughts.